Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Tea Bags or Ice Cube


They say you never know the strenght of a tea bag till its put in hot water. Serious psyching. At least that's what I said in my head.

It was just 8pm at night and to some people the night was young. For a young corper new to the world of paid employment, it was late and there was a desperate urgency to get home.

I was able to secure a space on the last roll of a coaster bus and safely placed my leg at a vantage point so as to protect my recently okada burnt leg which had formed a huge map and still gave me problems when I walked. I'm almost home I kept saying to myself as the bus finally took off from the bus stop.

The bus was just approaching maza maza bridge when the bus suddenly stopped and pandemonium broke out within the bus. Everyone was scrambling for the doors of the coaster bus climbing over each other and like the typical Nigerian that I was, I joined in the race for the doors. It wasn't until I got outside the bus that I heard what was being shouted and why everyone was panicking.

OLÈ!!!

I was at a disadvantage, what with my 1 and 1/2 leg I tried to get away. Even the massively over weight iya who happened to be on the same seat with me managed to overtake me.

With my heart in my mouth I ran. I felt a pull on my hair and screamed. He tugged on my bag and for the life of me I could not leg go. As I played tug of war with the robber I purposed in my heart that he won't leave with my handbag.

For one, the bag was new - just 4 days old. My NYSC card was in my bag, without which I wouldn't be able to pass out. - passing out parade was just 1 week away; and I was AWOL in Lagos. The odds were against me. Struggle and risk death or leave the bag and spend another year 'serving my country'in the North. Hell No.

While being dragged into the bush, me still clutching my handbag like my life was attached to it, the blows started.

With every strike my attacker shouted, you want to die abi? The blows eventually stopped. 5he police camr anf I headed straight to the hospital.

I could only see my parents through one eye as the other was swollen shut.

Was I stupid? I think I was. Would I do it again? I probably would.

The sensible thing to do would've been to let it go but by that singular rebellion against the possibility of death I gained a new respect amongst my peers and family.

I realised that day that I was a Tea Bag.

2 comments:

  1. Dearie wow. Did this really happen to u? When?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah it did, but that was a long tome ago. 2006 if I remember correctly.

    ReplyDelete