Thursday, October 24, 2013

When You Grow Up

What do you want to be when you grow up?

How many times have we been harassed with that question? From age 6 we are all ‘bullied’ or pressured to decide what parts we will follow for the rest of our lives.

Like seriously! Such pressure.

Little do we know that this question and the answers that follow set off a chain of events that affect the course of our lives. Some never accomplish those dreams and our haunted by the feelings of failure and defeat for most parts of their lives while some of the lucky ones do get to look back at their lives, smile cos they are exactly where they wanted to be. They lived the dream.

I am most definitely not living my dream; the dreams of a little girl who started out wanting to be a teacher, then a lawyer. The harsh realities surrounding being a lawyer opened my eyes and killed any rose tinted delusions I had concerning that. And quite frankly as of right now, I’m coasting.

How many of you are really living your dreams. Whether it was the one you made when you were 10 years old or 16 years old. Can you look back and say I am exactly who I said I would be and still be proud of the decisions that brought you here?

I would really want to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment