Thursday, April 11, 2013

Be Grateful

I’ve been reading and hearing a lot about gratitude. All the materials sound alike.

- Everything happens for a reason
- Appreciate the things you have now in anticipation of the things you want
- Smile
- Consider others
- Being thankful now opens doors

It goes on and on about being thankful but no one talks about how difficult, this seemingly easy attitude is. As humans we are naturally programmed to whine about the things that didn’t go right, the things that should’ve been ours and the things we want but cannot afford or have. It’s easier to remember the missing elements than to appreciate the things we have that are right before our eyes. They always seem to be insignificant or we just take them for granted.

In all honesty, as much as I want to focus on the things I have now I can’t help but be a little peeved about the things I don’t yet have. That significant career move I have dreamed of for so long; or that jeep glittering in the sun; or the hot intelligent guy that’s gaga for me (LOL) etcetera and so forth. But daily I strive to be a little more content and appreciative of the things I do have as opposed to the things I don’t yet have.

I was thinking today about the little things that we take for granted and it struck me that it’s the little ‘unimportant’ things that we have that we should be abundantly grateful for.

I woke up this morning at 5.15am, swung my leg off the bed put on my exercise gear and sweated it out for 30minutes. Took a shower, dressed up after trying 3 different outfits, got into my car and drove to work hassle free while I shook my head pitifully at the poor motor owners who were pulled over by Policemen, LASTMA and Road Safety officials respectively. I got to work ahead of resumption time - no stress, not wahala, no fuss. I have it good I must say, compared to some people but yet I find some reason to complain.

What’s my point, you might be asking? My point is, someone else did not wake up this morning or woke up and discovered she couldn’t move. I have heard stories and seen a few also of people who died on their way to work – crushed underneath the tyre of a trailer, people who because of LASTMA got to work late today and got a query and salary deduction. Someone who does not have a closet full of cloths and deciding what to wear to work is a no brainer.

In church last night someone shared a testimony about her mum who was in an accident but survived with scars on her face while the other passenger died. I think the lady who died would’ve welcomed the option of living with a scarred face instead of death.

I am a complainer, a worrier, prone to anxiety attacks just because I need things to go well. I am learning everyday to appreciate the little things, the gift of life, the value of friendships and the bond of family. In the end, it’s the small stuff that really matters.

So when you feel that whine creeping up your lips, shove it back down and instead, focus on the things you do have – you are alive and that should count for something.

Be grateful. It could’ve been worse.

5 comments:

  1. Now I know why I haven't been able to comment on FORGIVENESS!

    It's no cliche - we're all complainers and yes, it does feel good sometimes.

    Complaining is the only way to justify why things are the way they are. It gives power to the situation and makes you the victim...which means you deserve to be pitied.

    Complaining is closely related to criticism. They are in-laws...not just close cousins; in-laws bound by an oath to see the glass as half full. While criticism may be objective, the other thrives on subjectivity: my way, my life, my problems.

    The little things are quite easy to forget: that fish peppersoup that didn't end up giving food poisoning, the suya seller that didn't plant a boko bomb in your suya (lol), living in Naija (risk in every ramification).

    Thanks for the reminder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL @ boko bomb. We might be wired in our DNA to complain but we also have the power, if groomed well over time, to minimize the overflow of that wiring.

      Thanks for the comment.
      Signed Recovering Complainer.

      Delete
  2. Nice one. It makes a lotta sense. Let's be grateful for what we have and know dat "it could have been worse". Like Papa Oyedepo said, "if u have lost anything, God is d reason u haven't lost everything"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. God is the reason we still have something to be grateful about.
      All is not lost. There is still hope.

      Delete
    2. True... We all have da oliver twist mentality! Wantn more, despising wat we have, forgeting it wasn't ours yesterday. Lord teach us to say thank u some more. Amen!

      Delete